t’s two o’clock in the morning. Your bedroom is right above the garage and you’ve just been awakened by the thud of your garage door. You’re wondering how to make your garage door quieter before it drives you crazy.
First of all, you should know that the noise isn’t just coming from the garage door opener: it’s coming from the whole garage door system. Here are a few steps you can take to make your garage door as quiet as possible. However, you should be aware of the fact that, although you can reduce the noise to a great extent, it’s impossible to have a completely silent garage door.
What you can do on your own to make a garage door quieter
- -Lubricate the metal components: rollers, hinges, tracks and springs. Only use lubricant intended for use on metal, such as 10W‑30 motor oil. Apply with an oil can and wipe off the excess with a rag. Do not use grease! When the metallic parts of a torsion spring system rub together, this can be a major source of noise.
- -Tighten all nuts and bolts: make sure that there are no loose screws.
- -Check the condition of the rollers and tracks: are they damaged or worn? Keep in mind that rollers should roll‑not slide‑inside the track. Are the tracks properly aligned?
- -Lubricate the garage door opener chain: apply oil sparingly to the chain and the pinions at each end. However, if your opener is belt‑driven, do not apply anything to the rubber belt. Also, make sure that the chain or belt is taut.
- -Add noise insulation: you can install noise insulators between the motor block and the slotted metal brace used to attach the motor to the ceiling. These are cylindrical pieces of rubber (see photo) fitted with two independent screws, which buffer vibration between adjoining parts. You can purchase noise insulators from your local garage door specialist.
YNS Garage Door help you selecting the right garage door for your residential or commercial space.
FIND THE PERFECT DOOR, OPENER, OR AWNING
GET IN TOUCH WITH YNS GARAGE DOOR EXPERTS
- 120 mins quick installation time
- Replace garage door easily
- High-quality, good-looking doors
- More functional and simple
- Enhance your home’s appearance
- Learn all the benefits of garage doors
As a homeowner, you depend on a functioning garage door to keep your vehicle and possessions safe. As a business owner, your garage doors protect your property from inclement weather and thieves. A broken garage door can be more than a nuisance, and an older door can pose a security risk. If your garage door is jerking on its tracks or looking a bit worn, look to Shank Door for any of your residential or commercial garage door needs. Rely on Our Experienced Professionals